Connected Devices are the life-blood of any OTT platform. Connected Devices are the only true interface to the ultimate end user experience and the consumption of the proper content by that user. Connected Devices have many ‘screens’: Mobile phone devices, pads/tablets, smart/connected TVs and Set-Top-Boxes (STB). Without a doubt, the near future will bring us new breeds of faster and more advanced devices that will bring even more opportunities to reach the accelerating number of world-wide content consuming audiences.
Devices and Platforms
- Connected/Smart TVs
- Pure IP and Hybrid Satellite/IP Set-Top Boxes (STB)
- The iOS platform is currently restricted to the Apple devices, such as the iPhone, iPod, and iPad. Due to the different screen sizes of each device, the OTT application is optimized to ensure the maximum user experience for each Apple device, which includes a slightly different user interface.
- With the largest pool of devices running the Android operating system, each device typically requires its own customization and code enhancements to run smoothly. We typically use the Nextreaming player on all supported devices. The challenge is presented in optimizing an application code to run on most devices with the least modifications to the core framework.
- As Webkit browsers are becoming common on many set top devices, Knetik Media is gaining the expertise in debugging the applications and quirks of the Webkit platform.
- Knetik Media has successfully deployed multiple applications built on the embedded opera browsers found in set top boxes.